Napa’s 2018 Harvest Season – An Experience Beyond Wine Tasting
The air in the Napa region is thick with the fruity, fermented smell of ripe grapes, and the buzz and excitement of vintners welcoming the harvest season. If you want to experience this magical environment and start ‘Christmasy’ celebrations early, there is no better place to be than Napa Valley.
The grapes for sparkling wines make their way from the vineyards to the crush pads as early as August. The harvest of white wine grapes happens next, followed by the ones for red wines from late October through early November. The grapes for the late harvest wines are sometimes left on the vines till as late as December.
When you visit wine country during the peak harvest period from September to October, you can enjoy a long line-up of activities and events that celebrate the grape-picking season. Here are a few exciting options that you may want to consider:
- Grape Stomps: Climb into barrels of freshly harvested grapes and crush them with your feet. Enjoy the lively music and taste delicious farm-to-table meals, paired with smooth, aged wines. You can take away a commemorative t-shirt personalized with your wet feet after stomping the grapes. Wineries such as Grgich Hills, Castello di Amorosa and Peju Province Winery offer stomping events and competitions throughout the harvest season.
- Hands-on Harvest: One of the most interesting experiences of harvest season is to become winemaker for the day. Understand the harvest process, sample wares along the way, pick grapes from the vineyard, follow them to the crush pad and round-up the visit with a bountiful meal and the choicest wines. Trefethen Vineyards offers the annual Harvest Boot Camp, while Round Pond Estate offers a 5-hour long ‘Day in the Life’ experience.
- Harvest Parties: Almost every winery in the region hosts an annual bash or other harvest parties through the season. Explore your favorite ones and check out their websites to know the dates and other details. Some of the popular parties include the Harvest Ball at V. Sattui Winery, the Barn Bash at Rutherford Hill Winery and the Carnivus Maximus at Crocker & Starr winery. These events sell out early, so make sure you reserve soon!
- Harvest Table: Head to downtown Calistoga where dozens of local restaurants and 40 plus wineries come together to serve a culinary feast across 1000-feet of tables set out on picturesque streets in the town center.
While you select your favorite activities from dozens of available options, stay at the centrally located Napa Valley Hotel and Suites in downtown Napa. Our quaint, boutique accommodation puts you in the thick of all the harvest season action and celebrations. Here’s what some of our guests have to say about their stay here:
- “Great location and very comfy”
- “Lovely well located hotel”
- “The perfect getaway”
Beat the last-minute rush and book your stay for harvest season 2018 at our hotel today. Reserve your room online or call us at 707-226-1871.