Do you have a bucket list? If seeing the annual grape harvest in wine country is not on the list, add it now!
Harvest Season goes for a few months. After all, not all types of grapes are harvested at the same time. Depending on the type of wine being created, some grapes are harvested early in the season, while others wait until the very end.
If you have a favorite type of wine, come to Napa Valley during its harvest. Here is an overview of when grapes are harvested during the season:
- Sparkling Wine – Sparkling wine grapes are the ones to kick off the season. These are harvested using grapes that also go into Chardonnay and Pinot Noir but picked at their ripest early on so that theycan transform into some of those famed bubblies.
- Sauvignon Blanc and the Family of Aromatic Whites – The aromatic white wine grapes are next to be picked, because these mature faster and already have their tropical flavors from the sun soaked in.
- Chardonnay – Chardonnay grapes come at the same time as other aromatic wines, but they require longer aging in oak barrels, which means they come out soon, but take longer to mature.
- Pinot Noir – From the whites, you will slowly shift into the reds, which includes grapes used for Pinot Noirs. These are picked earlier than other reds because they need to keep that sweet, fruity flavor.
- Early Reds – A few others picked in the season early on are those made for Syrah, Merlot and even Zinfandel.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – Just like the wine needs to age, so do the grapes on the vine. These are picked later in harvest season because they need just the right amount of sun exposure to bring out the rich, vibrant flavor of the wine.
- Later Harvest Wines – Lastly, you have those late harvests made from grapes left on the vine for much longer. These give you the wine that is dense, complex and sweet – a perfect accompaniment for dessert.
Enjoy the harvest season in Napa. Be within walking distance to some of the tasting rooms that will feature harvest finds by booking your room with Napa Valley Hotel and Suites today.
Call us at 707-226-1871 to book a room or make your reservation online.