While there are many factors at play, did you know that the overarching taste and color of wine come from its grapes and how the wine is aged?
In Napa Valley, you may wonder what grapes are the most popular in a place known as “wine country.”
To broaden your wine knowledge, here are the most popular grapes found in Napa Valley:
- Cabernet Sauvignon: Cabernet Sauvignon comes from ripe red grapes, and in Napa Valley, it accounts for 40 percent of their total production and 55 percent of the area’s crop value. The flavor depends on where the vineyard plants, the amount of sun and type of soil, and watering. However, the varieties here in wine country range from notes of black fruits to cherries, plums, currant, and of course zesty spices from oak barrel aging.
- Chardonnay: Chardonnay is the second most popular grape in Napa Valley because the area is home to calcium-rich soil and ideal crisp climates. The chardonnays here are complex, vibrant, lively, and even have buttery finishes.
- Merlot: Grapes for merlots have been in Napa Valley since 1970, and mostly feature the flavor of rich cherries and texture. However, many wineries have taken a lighter, fruitier approach to their merlot making as well.
- Pinot Noir: Another dark red wine, the Pinot Noirs of the area, are acidic, bright, and ideal for almost any food pairing.
- Sauvignon Blanc: As a favored white, the wine country varieties fermented in neutral vessels result in a vibrant, herbaceous and grassy finish.
- Zinfandel: Zinfandel is one of those versatile grapes because it can be rose, white, or red. Napa Valley produces the richer wines full of spice, but some vineyards also product their lighter renditions for easier food pairing.
Enjoy tasting the wines of Napa Valley while staying within walking distance to the tasting rooms. The convenient downtown location of our boutique hotel is perfect for those here to explore the vineyards and wines of the region.
See what past guests have said about their experience here:
- “Staff was helpful and courteous. Becci is super awesome! Will definitely stay there again.”
- “Always on time and thoughtful drivers. They had a collet full of snacks and waters and made sure we enjoyed the trip.”
- “Great location for catching wine trolleys in downtown Napa.”
Book a room with our hotel today for your wine tour. Reserve your room online or call us at 707-226-1871.