8 Reasons to Drink More Wine
Not that we need any more excuses to drink wine here in Wine Country, but we thought it would be fun to appreciate some of the best reasons why we could all use a bit more wine in our lives.
1. Good for the heart. Red wine drinkers have a reduced risk of heart attack and cardiovascular risk. This most likely comes from the antioxidant resveratrol that reduces fat accumulation in the arteries and boosts heart function.
2. Good for the lungs. White wine has been linked to healthy lung function, probably because of the protective antioxidants in the blood that come from – you guessed it – white wine.
3. Lowers the risk of cataracts. If you enjoy red wine, you can also enjoy a lowered risk of cataracts, even if they run in your family. Only red wine has been studied, but it appears that the antioxidants have a protective effect on the eyes.
4. Lowers the risk of diabetes. Moderate red wine consumption helps to control blood sugar. A study done in 2005 by Amsterdam’s VU University Medical Center looked at this function and found that participants who drank red wine had a 30 percent lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
5. Protects the teeth. Okay, so maybe red wine doesn’t leave your teeth bright white, but it does many other good things for your mouth. Red wine reduces tooth decay, inhibits bacteria growth, hardens the enamel and reduces gum inflammation.
6. Reduces cancer risk. Moderate red wine drinking offers cancer-fighting properties from the antioxidants and can greatly reduce the risk of colon, ovarian and prostate cancers. The only thing to keep in mind is that alcohol in general can raise the risk of breast cancer, but red wine may not have the same effect, researchers believe.
7. Makes the skin healthy. The antioxidants in wine have been known to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. When you consider all the chemicals in traditional facial creams, a glass of red wine is the safer bet.
8. Improves the mood. Drinking a glass of red wine each day may lower the risk of depression. Who would have known that something that tastes so good could boost your mood and contain far less calories than a pint of ice cream!